Starting a beef jerky business could be as easy as making jerky in your kitchen and selling it at the local farmers market. It also might be tough to find success and earn a good living at it.
Here are some ideas that will help you see more clearly what to prepare for…
1. Government Inspection – By law, if one makes beef jerky just for selling it, your production facility has to be state or federally inspected. If you are planning to promote your jerky inside the same state because it was produced, you just need state inspection. If you plan to offer to consumers in other states, you require federal inspection.
Getting inspected is just not a great deal the greater challenge, as it is maintaining inspection. A state or federal inspector will probably view your facility everyday.
However, many small “mom and pop” run beef jerky businesses don’t bother getting inspection, and often never run into any trouble. They make all of their jerky in your own home, in their kitchen, then sell it wherever they could. Both state and federal government inspectors don’t bother seeking violators, the matter only has a tendency to surface when consumers become ill and file complaints.
2. Private Labeling – To obtain round the state and federal inspection requirements, most smaller businesses hire an inspected and approved meat processing facility to produce jerky for these people. The facility can make jerky based upon your recipe or use their own house recipe. They may even source beef specifically to your requirements, or use their own. The facility will likely then package the jerky with the label onto it.
The problem that a majority of entrepreneurs find when they hire a facility is the jerky never arrives with similar flavor and consistency as it did when they managed to make it themselves in their own kitchen. The answer is to test several facilities and look for one who will produce something closest to what you’re searching for.
Perform a Internet search around the words, “USDA Establishment Number” to discover a set of federally inspected meat processing facilities.
3. Preservatives or No? – Most consumers tend to keep away from foods containing preservatives, artificial flavors, and fillers. Sodium nitrite is a type of preservative in beef jerky, and there were studies suggesting it causes cancer, though we have seen other studies disputing it.
The trouble for manufacturers and retailers is the fact best place to buy beef jerky online must be capable of sit on store shelves for a lot of months to retain freshness. To achieve this, is needs to contain preservatives. Most distributors and retailers won’t even consider stocking a jerky that can’t guarantee freshness for over a couple weeks.
So, the secret to success for any small, upstart beef jerky company, if they wish to avoid preservatives, is to discover markets where long shelf life is just not a challenge. Selling jerky at farmers markets, street fairs, and trade events is normal. Selling jerky online from your website is quite popular. Some manufacturers have arrangements with smaller stores to come in once a week to buy back old stock and replace with fresh.
4. Distributors – The jerky brands the thing is in convenience stores and supermarkets were placed there by distribution companies. Names like Core Mark, Sysco, and US Foods represent the greatest distributors in the states and are responsible for filling the shop shelves of all of the national retail stores. You can’t 45dexqpky talk to a national retail chain and get these to stock your jerky, you need to experience a distributor. And just how everything is nowadays, distributors are unwilling to speak to small, upstart brands.
You are able to instead talk to smaller, niche distributors, and/or small non-chain grocers. Look for those that focus on natural foods. Small independent health food stores in your town are likely to buy jerky from local producers because of the desire to stock “locally grown and sourced” foods, provided it doesn’t contain preservatives.
To obtain the larger distributors for taking notice of the brand, you must build up the name recognition of that particular brand across the nation. That means a lot of social websites, lots of sponsorships, getting mentioned on tv and radio, etc.
5. Don’t Partner – Starting a beef jerky business from the ground-up quite a bit of effort. It takes several years of dedication just to build up a loyal subscriber base, as well as then you’ll discover that your life all but involves your small business. Your company is planning to become your way of life.
If you have someone, other than a spouse, in many cases you’ll find your partner becomes your enemy. Even though it’s your brother, your best friend, or perhaps your mother. You’ll always discover that your spouse will not be doing their job, or possibly is suggesting the way to do your job. It’ll look like your lover is just not spending so much time enough, but remains getting 1 / 2 of the profits. You can definitely find that your partner is working harder than you, and you might feel guilty about not doing all of your part.
If you require a business partner, talk to your spouse, and get him or her get on board with starting a beef jerky business. If you can’t look for a partner, and you also believe you will need one, maybe it’s not the proper a chance to start. Otherwise, go on a deep breath, clear your mind, and be ready to do it all yourself.